Monday, July 25, 2005

S.O.N.A.-GMA endorses charter change


I believe in the need for charter change. The call for charter change is far from being politically-colored.

It will definitely benefit the Filipino people if Congress push for charter change. The idea that such is being utilized for the survival of the President is inconsistent with what has actually been happening. It is important to recall that the House had been working for Consitutional amendment even before the Gloriagate Scandal erupted. In fact, an all-party political summit where charter change was endorsed took place about two years ago.

Rep. Jaraula said it well when he reasoned for the need to change our government structure instead of changing people:
“We changed people in 1986, but this gave rise to 'Kamag-anak Inc.' during Cory's time. Again, we changed people in 1992 but graft and corruption problems surfaced through the PEA-Amari scam, the Centennial Expo scam and the AFP Modernization Program fund misuse scam. The subsequent change of people did not prevent graft and corruption during Estrada's time. Clearly, what is needed is to change the system since this is the one that molds the character of people."

The only thing that needs to be resolved is whether the charter would take effect through a CON-ASS or a CON-CON. I have not made up my mind as to which of the two modes I am more in favor of. It is true that a CON-ASS is a more expedient, speedy and affordable process but I also agree with the view that a CON-CON is more pro-people and more democractic.

1 comment:

KPBT said...

True. I believe in a change to the parliamentary system also. I do prefer Con-Ass, because it can save us billions of pesos, but then, I doubt if the senators would approve of it, because their votes would be diluted, I think. Either way, I agree with you that the shift to the parliamentary system is a good move for the Philippines. :)