" When the world closed its eyes, he opened his arms."
I just saw what probably will be the most memorable movie i'll see this year.
Some ten years ago, while all of us were living normal lives, almost a million people suffered some of the worst atrocities ever committed against mankind. The people of Rwanda were brutally murdered in a civil war rooted in the conflict between the ruling Hutus and the rebel Tutsis. As the Hutu President of Rwanda is reported murdered by the Tutsis, the Hutus stage a genocide against all the Tutsis residing in Rwanda. The succeeding events become more horrible as hundreds of corpses begin to litter the streets and innocent children are hacked to death.
I guess what makes this even worse is the fact that this took place at a time when technology already found its way into our homes and information was already very easy to obtain. And yet, we were worse than complacent, we were practically ignorant of such happenings. I am apalled by such ignorance. It is sad to realize that I am a part of this. I am a part of the many other nations who displayed a lack of interest over the horrid plight of others who were facing death.
It is inspiring to see a man--a mere hotel manager--risk his life to save the lives of other refugees. This has made me realize that it doesn't matter what you do and where you are situated. You can always make a difference so long as you rise to the occassion when needed. The story of Paul Rusesabagina will definitely stay with me for a long time. Hotel Rwanda is both moving and informative. I hope it will inspire the rest of us not only to be more involved and more informed of the things around us but also to be thankful of the many blessings already present in our lives.
I just saw what probably will be the most memorable movie i'll see this year.
Some ten years ago, while all of us were living normal lives, almost a million people suffered some of the worst atrocities ever committed against mankind. The people of Rwanda were brutally murdered in a civil war rooted in the conflict between the ruling Hutus and the rebel Tutsis. As the Hutu President of Rwanda is reported murdered by the Tutsis, the Hutus stage a genocide against all the Tutsis residing in Rwanda. The succeeding events become more horrible as hundreds of corpses begin to litter the streets and innocent children are hacked to death.
I guess what makes this even worse is the fact that this took place at a time when technology already found its way into our homes and information was already very easy to obtain. And yet, we were worse than complacent, we were practically ignorant of such happenings. I am apalled by such ignorance. It is sad to realize that I am a part of this. I am a part of the many other nations who displayed a lack of interest over the horrid plight of others who were facing death.
It is inspiring to see a man--a mere hotel manager--risk his life to save the lives of other refugees. This has made me realize that it doesn't matter what you do and where you are situated. You can always make a difference so long as you rise to the occassion when needed. The story of Paul Rusesabagina will definitely stay with me for a long time. Hotel Rwanda is both moving and informative. I hope it will inspire the rest of us not only to be more involved and more informed of the things around us but also to be thankful of the many blessings already present in our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment