These are some of the lines spoken by my favorite characters. Years ago, I had them all written in a journal where I kept all my personal book and film reviews. I used to master these line by heart…
Films
“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
– Rhett Butler, Gone With The Wind
“After all, tomorrow is another day.”
– Scarlett O’ Hara, Gone With The Wind
“Whoever saves one life saves the world entire.”
--Itzhak Stern, Schindler’s List
Young Monk: “Do not try and bend the spoon—that’s impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth.”
Films
“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
– Rhett Butler, Gone With The Wind
“After all, tomorrow is another day.”
– Scarlett O’ Hara, Gone With The Wind
“Whoever saves one life saves the world entire.”
--Itzhak Stern, Schindler’s List
Young Monk: “Do not try and bend the spoon—that’s impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth.”
Neo: “What truth?”
Young Monk: “There is no spoon.”
--The Matrix
“I don’t think any word can explain a man’s life. No, I guess Rosebud is just a piece in a jigsaw puzzle—a missing piece.”
--Jerry Thompson , Citizen Kane
Books
“The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody’d move. . . . Nobody’d be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.”
– Holden Caulfield, The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
“Here I am Antony,Yet cannot hold this visible shape, my knave.I made these wars for Egypt, and the Queen—Whose heart I thought I had, for she had mine,Which whilst it was mine had annexed unto’tA million more, now lost—she, Eros, hasPacked cards with Caesar, and false-played my gloryUnto an enemy’s triumph.”
--Antony, Antony and Cleopatra (William Shakespeare)
“Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think that you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong.”
-- Francisco d’Anconia , Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
--the oath the thinkers recite, Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
“But when these basic needs have been satisfied—will there still be something that everybody needs? Philosophers think so. They believe that man cannot live by bread alone. Of course everyone needs food. And everyone needs love and care. But there is something else—apart from that—which everyone needs, and that is to figure out who we are and why we are here.”
--Sophie’s World
--The Matrix
“I don’t think any word can explain a man’s life. No, I guess Rosebud is just a piece in a jigsaw puzzle—a missing piece.”
--Jerry Thompson , Citizen Kane
Books
“The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody’d move. . . . Nobody’d be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.”
– Holden Caulfield, The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
“Here I am Antony,Yet cannot hold this visible shape, my knave.I made these wars for Egypt, and the Queen—Whose heart I thought I had, for she had mine,Which whilst it was mine had annexed unto’tA million more, now lost—she, Eros, hasPacked cards with Caesar, and false-played my gloryUnto an enemy’s triumph.”
--Antony, Antony and Cleopatra (William Shakespeare)
“Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think that you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong.”
-- Francisco d’Anconia , Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
--the oath the thinkers recite, Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
“But when these basic needs have been satisfied—will there still be something that everybody needs? Philosophers think so. They believe that man cannot live by bread alone. Of course everyone needs food. And everyone needs love and care. But there is something else—apart from that—which everyone needs, and that is to figure out who we are and why we are here.”
--Sophie’s World
No comments:
Post a Comment